I’ve written this post as a selection of top 10 tips to help you take better photos of your children. Some tips may apply to other photography subjects but let’s just focus on getting some great snaps of your beloved little angels. Remember to mention in the comment box if you have any great tips to share with me as well, I also need to learn.
Top 10 Tips to Photograph Your Children
Some of the tips here maybe technical but also it depends on your psychology. With all portrait photography, taking a great compelling photo starts with how you engage with the subject. The tips that I’ve given are all beginner friendly so you should not be facing any problems. So, let’s begin.
- Get Your Kids Used to Camera: You may know that being an adult we are also bit nervous when it comes to standing in front of a camera. Same goes for the kids. So, it’s totally normal for the kids to act unnaturally when someone points a camera at them. At the time of taking the photograph of your kids to be patient and persistent. Lift the camera often so your kids get used to it. By the time they will forget that the camera is there and you will be able to take the most natural photos that you want to take.
- You Should Get Down To Their Level: This technique will improve taking photos of your kids. Try to take the photos are their eye level, means you should bend down or can even lay down on the floor to take the perfect shot.
- Try To Shoot Everything: It’s not ideal just to take the photos at big moments. Try to shoot during the in-between times rather than taking on the time of blowing out candles or opening presents etc.
- Try To Focus On Their Eyes: Most of the cameras nowadays has the ability to control the focus point manually. Try to stick that focus point to your kid’s eyes. This will make sure to have the pin-sharp focus of the face parts like the iris or pupil.
- Making the Face Brightest: You always want to make sure the face of your kid is the brightest thing in the whole photo. This may not be the case all time but this is one of the things that you might need to consider.
- Get a Simple Background: Kids generally dressed very colorfully. The background should not be very complicated. Make it simple so the kids look at the main part of the photo, not the background. Just make sure there are no tree branches or telegraph poles of your subject body or head in the background.
- Shooting Discreetly: If you have failed to get your kids used to the camera then try and take sneaky photos of them. You can do this by acting like you are checking your camera, while actually, you are taking their photos. The flip-out LCD screen is the best way to take these kinds of photos. You can do this by practicing shooting with the camera away from your face with this kind of camera.
- Showing Your Face: While taking your kids photos it’s important that you show your face to them rather than hiding behind the camera. Make sure you slightly lowered your camera from your face. This will make sure you have natural contact with your kids.
- Make Sure the Light is Good Enough: When taking photos of your children light is the most important thing. Try to use natural lights as much as possible, this will make your photo more natural looking. Like taking the kid near the window and then taking the photo.
- Make Sure You Have The Right Camera: Not every camera takes the photo that you want. If you want to take really good photos of your children you may want to invest some on a good camera. The money will come and go but memories stay forever’s to make sure that your memories are in great shape get a good camera. You can get the good camera under $200 from Amazon. And if you ask me to suggest one for you then I’ve two cameras to suggest to you that will take perfect photos you want. One is Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Mirrorless Digital Camera and the second one is Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digitial Camera